En grisaille is an ancient term, originally used for a greyscale underdrawing created as a guide for painting.
Commissioning an en grisaille portrait
You do not need to visit our studio.
You’ll find that creating a silhouette portrait is an enjoyable process!
It takes time, and your involvement in the process will be crucial to a successful commission. We make this really easy for you with our five-stage commissioning process.
@silhouettist five-stage commissioning process
This is the process we will follow to make your portraits. Please read and be prepared to take part.
- You place an order, optionally attaching some reference photos after you check out
- We invite you to choose a date and time for a virtual portrait sitting
- if no suitable studio day is coming up, we’ll schedule a bespoke sitting for you (dependant on Charles’ availability)
- you can ask Charles to work from photographs only, but please read the relevant terms and conditions first
- Once we agree a date and time for a sitting, you will meet Charles and pose for him at a Zoom meeting
- during the sitting Charles will make a white-paper cutting, make some initial sketches and take a screen shot of the pose
- After the sitting he’ll work on the drawing. He’ll then send a proof photo by email for your comment or approval
- if any alterations are necessary these will be made before a second (usually final) proof is sent for approval
- if you feel further alterations are needed we may ask you to appear at a second virtual sitting and/or send further reference photos
- Once you’re pleased with the result, Charles will mount the portrait on a card colour of your choice. He’ll then sign and deliver it to you, together with a stamped certificate of authenticity
- we include tracked worldwide delivery in the fee
The whole process may take time, dependant on Charles’ schedule and your own participation. If you need these portraits for a particular date (eg: an anniversary or birthday) please let us know when you place the order.