Charles paints these contemporary, full colour silhouettes in gouache. Following an old, Georgian tradition he leaves just the face in shadow.
Commissioning full colour silhouettes
You do not need to visit our studio.
You’ll find posing for a silhouette portrait online an enjoyable process!
It takes time, and your involvement in the process will be crucial to a successful commission. We make this really easy for you with our five-stage commissioning process.
@silhouettist five-stage commissioning process
This is the process we will follow to make your portraits. Please read and be prepared to take part.
- You place an order, optionally attaching some reference photos after you check out
- We invite you to choose a date and time for a virtual portrait sitting
- if no suitable studio day is coming up, we’ll schedule a bespoke sitting for you (dependant on Charles’ availability)
- you can ask Charles to work from photographs only, but please read the relevant terms and conditions first
- Once we agree a date and time for a sitting, you will meet Charles and pose for him at a Zoom meeting
- before the sitting you’ll need to think carefully about hairstyle and the clothes you wear
- during the sitting Charles will talk to you about colour, make some initial sketches or cuttings, and take a screen shot of the pose
- After the sitting he’ll work on your silhouettes. He’ll then send a proof photo by email for your comment or approval
- Charles will continue to work on the silhouette before sending a second (usually final) proof for approval
- if you feel further alterations are needed we may ask you to appear at a second virtual sitting and/or send further reference photos
- Once you’re pleased with the result, Charles will mount the silhouette on a suitable card. He’ll then sign and deliver it to you, together with a stamped certificate of authenticity
- we include tracked worldwide delivery in the fee
The whole process may take time, dependant on Charles’ schedule and your own participation. If you need these silhouettes for a particular date (eg: an anniversary or birthday) please let us know when you place the order.