Traditional black-paper silhouette, cut freehand with scissors and mounted on a white card with a black, printed oval border.
Notes on taking photographs
The success of this commission will depend entirely on the photos you supply.
Ideally, photographs should be taken in good light, against a plain wall without flash. They should be in profile and should show the whole head and shoulders (including any long hair).
If ideal photos are not available for any reason, please send what you can and ask Charles for advice.
Commissioning a set of silhouettes from photographs is a process. It takes time, and your involvement in the process will be crucial. We make this really easy for you with our four-stage commissioning process!
@silhouettist four-stage commissioning process
This is the process we will follow to make your silhouette. Please read and be prepared to take part!
- You place an order for the silhouette(s) you require, supplying at least one reference photo for each subject
- you can attach photos from this page, after the checkout page, or send them by email after placing the order
- Charles will examine the photos supplied and advise if they are suitable
- if not, we’ll let you know and discuss how to proceed
- Once we receive adequate photos Charles will cut the silhouette. He’ll then send a proof photo by email for your comment or approval
- if any alterations are necessary these will be made before a second (usually final) proof is sent
- if you feel further alterations are needed we may ask you to send further reference photos
- Once you’re happy Charles will mount the silhouette on card and sign it. We’ll then deliver it to you, backed with a stamped certificate of authenticity
- We include tracked worldwide delivery in the cost
The whole process may take time, dependant on Charles’ schedule and your own participation. If you need these silhouettes from photographs for a particular date (eg: an anniversary or birthday) please let us know as you place the order.